Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Forgotten

Josh Ruben - Director
Gerald Di Pego - Writer
Jullianne Moore - Telly Paretta
Anthony Edwards - Jim Paretta
Gary Sinise - Dr Jack Munce
Alfre Woodard - Anne Pope
Linus Roche - That one creepy guy
Dominic West - Ash Correll


Moore's performance stands out in an otherwise average movie.

This will be a short review. It isn't because I'm lazy (I am) or because I didn't like the movie (I didn't.) It's because I don't know how to review this movie without spoiling things for the reader. The premise is an intriguing one. It's been 14 months since Telly Paretta's son Sam died in a plane crash. She's been visiting a therapist to help her cope, but things with her seem a little off. Eventually her photos of Sam start disappearing as does other evidence of him, and that's when her therapist breaks it to her: Sam never existed. He tells her that she's basically crazy, that she miscarried and never had a son. Her husband agrees with him. So does everyone else in her life. She thinks this is horseshit and is determined to find out The Truth about What Really Happened. Maybe she's crazy, maybe she isn't.

And that is about all I can tell you and still leave the movie watchable, such as it is. The pacing is slow and deliberate, putting off answering it's questions for as long as possible. Here and there it will answer a question and at the same time pose two new ones. The setup was quite good, but after about an hour I began tallying my questions that would need answering and it became clear that there were very few possible solutions. Eventually I could see where it was going and was disappointed when it got there. Like White Noise, I'd have been happier if I'd watched it for an hour, turned it off and imagined my own completion to the story.

The acting is very good. Julliane Moore carries herself with grace and beauty. Overall, my only real complaint is the storyline; I think the acting, directing and everything was quite good. There are some plot inconsistencies that have long been common in Hollywood (ie trained cops falling all over themselves while our heroine miraculously escapes.) This movie had a lot of potential, and though there were things about it I liked, I cannot reccommend it.

The Forgotten recieves 2 wombats out of 4.

6 Comments:

Blogger Couch said...

i was actually thinking about seeing that... i think one of your pictures is oversized. its screwing your page up.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

I made the pic slightly smaller. Looks ok now.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Couch said...

seems to all be working fine here...

8:14 PM  
Blogger Arethusa said...

I haven't been interested in anything Julianne Moore in quite some time.

Nice to see another review. :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Couch said...

its been a month... time for another review...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Couch said...

also something seems to be wrong with your comments... theres 5 (now 6) there but it is only showing 3 on this post.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site 
Meter